Polemika pomiędzy Victorią a Sato w kwestii oceny D.T. Suzukiego

książki i opublikowane wykłady nauczyciel oraz periodyki

Moderator: iwanxxx

lwo
Senior User
Tradycja: Soen

Polemika pomiędzy Victorią a Sato w kwestii oceny D.T. Suzukiego

Nieprzeczytany post autor: lwo »

Trzy artykuły (po angielsku) w ramach polemiki pomiędzy Brianem Victorią a Kemmyo Taira Sato w kwestii oceny postawy D.T. Suzukiego i jego wsparcia dla japońskiego militaryzmu w okresie II wś:

D.T. Suzuki a kwestia wojny

Zen jako kult śmierci w wojennym piśmiennictwie D.T. Suzukiego
D.T. Suzuki, zen i naziści

Artykuł Kemmyo Taira Sato jest polemiczną odpowiedzią na książkę Victorii ,,Zen na wojnie". Sato (były profesor uniwersytetu i aktualnie kapłan Czystej Krainy) uważa generalnie książkę Briana Victorii za bardzo cenną - mającą aktualnie duży wpływ na myślenie japońskich buddystów poprzez ujawnienie czy też zwrócenie uwagi na kwestię poparcia japońskich buddystów dla narodowego militaryzmu przed i w okresie II wś ("Few books in recent years have so deeply influenced the thinking of Buddhists
in Japan and elsewhere as Brian Daizen Victoria’s Zen at War (Victoria 1997). The book’s great contribution is that it has succeeded, where others have not, in bringing to public attention the largely unquestioning support of Japanese Buddhists for their nation’s militarism in the years followingthe Meiji Restoration in 1868 (when Japan opened its borders after nearly 250 years of feudal isolation) up until the end of WWII. As a Japanese Buddhist myself, I personally feel a deep sense of gratitude that this aspect of our history has been so clearly brought to light, since it is imperative that all Japanese Buddhists recognize and take responsibility for their traditions’ complicity in the militarist government’s actions.")

Sato polemizuje natomiast z oceną Victorii postaci D.T. Suzukiego przedstawioną w książce w kontekście jego wsparcia dla militarnej polityki Japonii. Zdaniem Sato podejście Victorii jest w tej kwestii wybiórcze i jednostronne. ("All scholars employ quotations from relevant texts to support and develop their arguments, and are of course at liberty to select those passages that best suit their purposes. Even so, Victoria’s highly selective citations from Suzuki’s works often seem motivated less by a desire to clarify Suzuki’s actual views than by a determination to present a certain picture of the man and his work."

W odpowiedzi Victoria powołuje się na wojenne piśmiennictwo Suzukiego i pisze o jego związkach z nazistami.

Zauważony błąd: ojciec Maksymilian Kolbe nie był niemieckim chrześcijaninem.
lwo
Senior User
Tradycja: Soen

Re: Polemika pomiędzy Victorią a Sato w kwestii oceny D.T. Suzukiego

Nieprzeczytany post autor: lwo »

Dość ciekawy artykuł powiązany z tematem wątku autorstwa Dong Zhao - spojrzenie z chińskiej perspektywy:

http://www.ijssh.org/papers/381-C10004.pdf

Zhao odnosi się do wypowiedzi D.T. Suzukiego w kontekście wojny chińsko-japońskiej:

"In 1896 when the Fist Sino-Japanese War began, D. T.
Suzuki wrote, "religion should, first of all, seek to preserve
the existence of the state." Echoing his teacher, he regarded
the enemies of Japan as "unruly heathens" who must be
conquered or who would otherwise "interrupt the progress of
humanity. In the name of religion, our country could not
submit to this." Going to the battlefield, to him, is a religious
pilgrimage. Suzuki used poetic language to celebrate and
boost the spirit of Japanese soldiers in battle. "Our soldiers
regard their own lives as being as light as goose feathers
while their devotion to duty is as heavy as Mount Taishan (in
China). Should they fall on the battlefields, they have no
regrets." This metaphor of "goose feathers" borrowed from